Sunday, September 14, 2008

Double Dipping

Delaware's longtime senator Joe Biden is running for re-election this year. There's really nothing unusual in that. Nothing, that is, until you consider that he is also running for vice president alongside Barack Obama. Before that, he was running for president. It seems as though Joe Biden is exceptionally eager for your vote in 2008, though he may be a little unsure as to which office he most wishes to occupy.

According to Delaware state law, Biden has the right to run for election in both campaigns at once. However, I don't see how any constituent could consider themselves well served by this practice. Not only is Biden shortchanging his senatorial duties to occupy himself with a national campaign, he is cheating Delawareans out of the chance to vote fairly for his replacement should he win both races and choose to resign from the Senate. In this case, Delaware's governor would fill his seat by appointment. This appointee would serve for two years, after which a special election would be held to finally allow voters a say. Obviously, the appointee would have a certain advantage in such an election, having been given two years to campaign while already on the job.

The whole business is utterly distasteful and only compounded by the fact that Biden is making no effort to hide his lack of regard for the state he represents. He has lived in Delaware since he was 10 years old and served in public office here since 1970, when he was 27. However, he continually promotes himself as being from Scranton, Pennsylvania. Interestingly, I don't hear Sarah Palin promoting herself as being from Idaho; instead she seems rather proud of her Alaskan home which has an even smaller population (and slower growth) than Delaware.

But take heart, Delawareans, Joe Biden still considers our state an adequate consolation prize should he fail at his greater quest.


8 comments:

  1. I know this is reading a book by it's cover, but doesn't he look snarky. I totally agree with your thoughts. How can anyone do ANYTHING else other than run for a national office - especially one of this magnitude. Blah, politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look snarky. The irony is that this is the photo on his website that he requests you use, so I'm guessing this is the aura he wishes to portray. Blah, is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you want to bet he would appoint his Son...keeping it in the family. good coments Jen... Missed you today Lorien hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachelle, actually the governor does the appointing and, since Joe's son will be in Iraq at the time this would be happening, it is my understanding that he would be ineligible. But, it will certainly be a democrat either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did I miss that in your post? dont mind me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, Rachelle. I'm sure your Irish triplets might keep you somewhat distracted. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering that whenever I am on line there is a baby on my knee I guess I could blame my scattered mind on them huh and my bad typing
    I always see mistypes after posting! Ugh I hate that!

    ReplyDelete