Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Winter Leaves

Living in the woods, as I have for most of my life, the emerging of the new leaves is as beautiful a sight to me as any spring flowers. The woods is so altered by winter and always seems so barren and bleak to me. The first glimpse of that soft green spray over everything feels almost miraculous every year. It is such a sweet transformation. My whole world changes. Imagine the walls of your house being perfectly transparent for a season. That is fall and winter for me. Suddenly, I can see my neighbors, the street, the sunset. It's eerie and strange. Those little spring leaves mark the return to normalcy. My walls are solid again and I no longer feel exposed and vulnerable. If that means saying goodbye to the glimpse of the sunset through naked tree trunks, I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment