Monday, May 19, 2008

3's

Courtesy of Lorien . . . my 3's:


3 Joys


-My children. I was going to include them in with "my family," but they fill an entirely different portion of my soul than the rest of my family, so they deserve top billing all on their own. They are part of almost every waking moment of my life and I have learned to love that aspect of my life. I have already learned so much about love (and patience) from them and I can feel myself learning more every day.
-My family. My wonderful husband is truly my very best friend in life. He has never spoken a cruel word to me and has been my safe and secure haven from the world going on 16 (yikes!) years. My parents, too, have given me such unfailing love and support throughout every twist and turn life has dealt me.
-My home. There is no place on earth where I feel the peace I feel at my home. I love feeling like I am in my own little world, being able to walk outside and see nothing but trees and hear nothing but nature.

3 Fears

-Being separated from my children, either by death or some other unthinkable event.
-The dark. I need to see what's coming. I probably have big control issues.
-The dentist. The smells! The sounds! The horror!

3 Goals

-To help my Austin to have a full and productive life.
-To go back to school. I am such a school junkie. I don't even know what I would study, but I would love to go to graduate school someday.
-To take my kids on a cross-country roadtrip. This may prove to be out of reach, but I would love to do it.

3 Current Obsessions or Collections

Obsession is my main modus operandi. If I like something for more than 5 minutes, chances are I will develop an obsession with it. I can be awfully fickle, though, and easily abandon one obsession for the next. I do have a few enduring obsessions, however.

-Computers. If it can get done on a computer, it always moves to the top of my to-do list. I love my machines. Love, love, love.
-Organizing. Most people who know me will fall over in shock when they read this, because I am not very organized. I am, however, completely and dysfunctionally addicted to the process. I love to plan, make lists, schedules, flowcharts, etc. I could do it all day long--on my computer, of course.
-Autism. Don't ever ask me about this topic unless you are prepared to cruelly pull the plug on the conversation, because I could go on for hours. Causation, symptoms, biomedical treatments, behavioral interventions, I find it all endlessly fascinating.

3 Random/Surprising Facts

-I love to do my taxes. Early in our marriage, John and I used to compete over who got to do them. It was always a big victory for the one who got hold of the W2 first. Yeah, I know, I'm a freakish nerd. I'm okay with that.
-I hate chocolate and soda.
-When I was in college, I was a subversive, liberal, vegetarian (for a little while, anyway), grunge-loving, man-hating, shaved-head, cross-dressing, folksinger. I looked like this:


Just be glad the picture is not bigger.

9 comments:

  1. Ok - WHOA! How interesting this list is to me. We are frighteningly similar. I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for you at this moment, or to have joy that someone can commiserate with me on life :-)

    I too do not like the dark and it almost went on my list. Weird, because I love quiet, and calm, and the sound of nothing but nature. Walking your driveway during the day would be magical to me, but at night would cause me to shake. And another dentist hater!!!! Blah. They are just evil.

    School junkie. Isn't it so much fun to be a student? Just being on a campus (the emptier the better for me btw) is like heaven on earth. It's like you can feel knowledge all around you and I just want to grab it from the air. Are you thinking I am weird yet??? And I am also at a loss as to what I want to finish school in. I flip flop so much between the arts and sciences it is ridiculous.

    Organization! Especially the thought of. I can spend hours thinking of how I will organize my closet differently and I have been a list maker FOREVER! When I used to write them, which I actually still prefer, if I make a mistake, I will start the list over on another sheet of paper. This goes for bills that need to be paid or even a simple grocery list.

    However, I must say that I do not understand my taxes very well and although it is not in our house much, I will eat chocolate and drink soda if given the chance.

    Ok, and you know that I clicked on that picture......meanie. What a tease :-) There has got to be a few more of that era lying around.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - sorry for the blog sized comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't go feeling sorry for me, 'cause then I'd have to feel sorry for myself and I'm not into that (this week).

    And I pretty much changed my major between humanities and sciences every semester of my undergraduate life. No exaggeration.

    Sorry about the pic--just a scan of a grainy little b&w. There may be a few pictures around of that period. Mostly I think my mother burned them all.

    And blog-sized comments are fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will agree that taxes are the end all be all of finances. I eagerly look forward to the arrival of the W-2 every year and I hate that Jerry makes me wait for him to do them with me.
    I'm sure Lorien would agree with me that one of our joys would be to have your home too- lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is for the top 5 things this week I just saw. I missed Moonlight this past week and when I heard it wasn't coming back I almost had a heart attack! Can we petition to get it back next year? What is life without a hot vampire show?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid we are going to have to shoulder on without the hot vampire show. After fans petitioned CBS to bring back Jericho and it didn't perform well enough to suit them, they are not inclined to listen to fans right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moonight was very enjoyable, but I feel it needed to end when it did. It would be nice to sit down and watch the entire season at once, because it's a nicely complete, resolved story. But let's have a Logan spinoff.

    Funny I did the same 3s thingie on my blog. We both did it independently.

    Jennifer, I feel like peeing on you to mark my territory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. whoa, hold on: shaved head?! i don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bwah! I shall consider myself marked if you will promise to withhold the pee.

    And not my whole head of course--but you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete