Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Animal Behavior

With apologies for some unflattering shots of my backside, I had to share this little clip my husband took of me feeding our duckling flock. This is my third year raising ducklings, but my first year using actual duck parents. The last two years I raised them myself under a brooder lamp in my basement, taking them outside each day and sitting with them in the grass so they could run around. I tried to get them to imprint on me, but they remained very standoffish. As they became old enough to have the run of the place, spending their days on our pond, I would often have to go out on a boat to herd them off the pond at feeding time. They would sometimes come near me, but would never eat out of my hand or let me touch them in any way.

This year, we had a successful outdoor hatching with our nesting pair. The hen laid too many eggs to incubate herself, so I put some in an indoor incubator. In the end, she and I hatched out 19 ducklings. She has raised 16 of those. The other 3 hatched after all the rest, and I was unable to get the mother to accept them as hers, so I have kept those inside as in the past. The point of all this is that I find it fascinating that the 16 being raised by a mother duck follow me around the yard, pecking on my feet and clamoring for food. They are full of adventurous confidence. The 3 I am raising are shy and keep their distance from me. It's as if being without a natural mother has left them feeling cautious and unsure of themselves.

You can see in this clip that I have a hard time walking for all the ducklings thronged around my feet. And it's not just me--just this morning, they all chased my piano tuner to his car. Fortunately, he was a good sport about it.

(Technical note: This was recorded on a digital point and shoot. The clicking sound you hear is the auto-focus continually adjusting. For all my love of technology, you'd think I'd have better toys.)

11 comments:

  1. That is so cute - I can't believe how big they are getting. How are the little quail doing? They just warmed my heart.

    Looks like you have your own little following of groupies.

    Well, no, you have one more - her name is Lórien lol.

    Oh.....and who do think it will be tonight??

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol

    You should see how big the quail are getting. Another week and they'll be outside.

    And tonight . . . I think it will be David Cook. You?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very funny. I hoped you would run to see how fast they would keep up with you.

    Do they follow if you don't have food with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very fast, it's true. And, yes, they will follow me even if I don't have food. I think they're always hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, up until last night I was thinking David Cook. Now I'm leaning towards David Archuleta. Either way, I am happy for both of them and like both of them. I think they will both for sure have record contracts waiting the moment the "winner" is announced. Too bad we are not a tad bit closer to each other; we could have had a mini Idol party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I sure hope that I am not being too presumptuous to think "I" could hang with an Idol celebrity. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not at all. I'm sure you'd fit in great with all my A-list pals. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoo hoo!! I'll see you in 10. Look for the limo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just kidding btw. I'm in the middle of helping Sam hang some blinds.

    Enjoy tonight - it will be good no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's absolutely one of the coolest things. It's so very cute having them all huddling close...

    ReplyDelete